350g Caster sugar
100g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Line an 18cm square tin with greaseproof paper
- Put the milk, sugar and butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring all the time, until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted.
- Bring to the boil for 15-20 minutes, stirring all the time.
- When the mixture reaches the soft ball stage (115oC) remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the mixture with a spoon for a few minutes until it starts to thicken and the gloss disappears.
- Pour the mixture immediately into the tin and leave to set at room temperature.
- Once set, cut the fudge into small pieces and store in a sealed container.
Thanks to Rachel Billington from Bowl & Whisk for supplying this recipe.